Sunday 20 November 2016

Control - or Resistance?

This week we've learned that it is (apparently) possible to control everything in our homes through a smart phone: I guess that's heating, washing machine, toaster, the dog... (only joking about that last one). And now we have Alexa arriving... actionable smartwear for the home. What's for tea, Alexa? Will I need an umbrella today? Are my knickers in a twist?

They are, a bit. This reminds me of writing. It's possible - and at times, necessary in the crafting process - to focus on manipulating the reader; controlling the pace, or mood.

But isn't it better, sometimes, to live a little? I think I'd rather find out if it's raining by - you know what? - going OUTSIDE to see. I might decide what to eat when I look in the fridge - and not a moment before. Are we really ready to disconnect so completely from the turning world that we need telling what to wear and what to eat? Can't we live with spontaneity any more?

I'm all for resistance, rather than control. And so it goes for writing. Yes, lets keep our awareness of what the pen is doing - but just occasionally, lets go wild and dangerous, and write outside the box! Might just find that we write something strong, powerful.

Might just find that we feel more ALIVE when we let our hair get wet. Better that than looking through the window at the rain... and asking Alexa to close the curtains.

No comments:

Post a Comment