Wednesday 5 April 2017

Week 2 Ghost Writing

Another ghost writing session with my client who has sustained brain injuries in a car crash. This time we attempt to return to memories from his young school days - or what fragments remain from this time. A surprising amount of detail surfaces: he recalls that he was naughty in primary school (weren't we all!) and that as a young adult he liked Depeche Mode.

My issue is how to write this. How much detail do I add, to shape his fragmented material into acceptable memoir which the reader can picture? Or should I leave his hesitant, sometimes repetitive/disrupted narrative voice to speak for itself? As our session comes to a close, he says:

        'It's hard to explain. The car crash has made me... Deep down I wish
         I was a different person; I wish it had happened to somebody else. But it was ME
         and that makes me want to scream out loud but I don't; I don't want to do that
         This cake is nice this cake I've just eaten it was beautiful a beautiful cake. It was nice.
         I want someone to see me for who I am. I'm not a bad person. It's just hard.'

His words bring my heart into my throat; seems to me they are fantastic at just speaking for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment